Monday, July 02, 2007

Edward Yang R.I.P.



As everyone spreads word about the death of Joel Siegel, I’d like to point out the death of a filmmaker that is getting little notice.

His name is Edward Yang and he passed away from colon cancer on Friday.



I have only seen one “Yi Yi” and it is an extraordinary film.

It is very simple and deals with members of a family asking themselves about the meaning of life. There is something of a plotline, but it is rally more of a character driven story that is subtle in its movements and grand in its quest to analyze the soul.

It runs three hours and feels like an hour and a half. I discovered it back in 2001 after reading a few good reviews. The running time made me feel a little iffy, but I’m glad I took the time out to watch it.

Criterion has recently released it on DVD. Give it a shot, you wont be disappointed.

Sometimes all it takes is one film for a filmmaker to grace your life and make you feel the loss when they pass on. Edward Yang definitely would fit into that category fro me.

I send out my sincerest condolences to his friends and family.

No comments: