Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Shield Down

It was the series finale of The Shield tonight. I know it's kind of shallow to feel sad about a television show ending like it was part of your life, but I am. Not that I could relate to any of the characters or like they had become a family to me. It just felt sad to watch it end. It was good, not a classic, but few are.

There is that part of me that relates it to Shea. Funny how there is a part of me that still misses her. See, the show had been on and I'm a big fan of the corrupt cop sub-genre. I have been forever. I drool over Sidney Lumet movies like Serpico and Q&A. I'll defend Prince of the City until the day I die.

Anyway, it had been on for a few seasons and I thought I'd rent the first season. I got into it quickly and was over at Shea's when she was working while I was watching. The next thing we were both glued to the set popping episodes like they were drugs. Well drugs for me jellybeans for her, we each have our addictions. It had gotten so bad that we stopped waiting for netflix and drove to the local video store, grabbed take out and watched the entire third season on a rainy Sunday. It was a good day. It was one of those things that we shared. 

I've told this story many times to people when they ask if I watch The Shield. Now it's over. No new seasons to look forward to and it will start to fade into the past just like that day has, just like the relationship did. There is nothing current that I can hold onto, only memory.

God I hate being this blubbery and cheesy.

No comments: