Sunday, July 16, 2006

Bullets Baby Bullets

So I’m back on the job wagon again. Move ‘em out little doggies.

I had yet another interview on Friday for the Ellen Show. I’d be overseeing the website. It is actually a lot more fun sounding than that. There is a lot of creative input needed in the job and I’d be dealing with the writers and producers of the show on securing material. That’s pretty cool.


The interview went fine, it was really a meet and greet with the Production Manager. He explained what the job was and how all of my many skills that I have learned over the years would be beneficial to the position. Weird how that works out? Years of hodgepodge on jobs here and there, from the internet to film to administrative all come together in a job that would not only pay well, but be an exciting and creative challenge.

If you can’t tell, I really want the gig. Not because I need a job, but the more I’ve found out about it, the more exciting it gets. It’s not exactly an industry job, but at the same time it is. Plus I’m getting an opportunity to put all of those years of internet bitterness behind me.

There was a time when I hated all things on line. This is due to a real screwing I received on a project that should have been cutting edge and turned into one of the biggest flops of my life. That’s saying a lot from a guy who has flopped more times than Raggedy Andy on a rollercoaster.

So as the interview was coming to a close, Chris the Production Manager said he had a homework assignment. He was asking all applicants to put together a kind of pitch. It was to detail what worked and didn’t work about the site, what type of creative ideas I might bring to it and all that jazz. These would then be looked over and if liked, a meeting would be set up with the Executive Producers o the 24th.

Now here’s where I get a little fuzzy. I’m going to do this research, which I’d actually already done, and write it down for them to look over. Hand over my own intellectual property that they could then use, even if they didn’t hire me. It sounds a little fishy, but I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they look at it as more of an audition piece.

So I spent Friday night and part of Saturday putting something together. I sent it out to a few friends for input and reworked parts.

The biggest pain in the ass was technical. I had to figure out how to put in bullet points. Not just bullet points, but different kinds; numbers, letters, roman numerals, the works. I’ve done a simple bullet point before, but never this complex and my skills with Word are, shall we say, minimal.

It grew quite frustrating; the only thing I can liken it to is being a teenager and trying to figure out how to put a condom on. I tried this way and that way and kept getting pissed as the bullet points launched off my dick and across the room.


Finally I had a hunch and figured it out. It was quite exciting. So I finished the draft and have now sent it back out for critique. I hate this waiting shit. But, I think it’s pretty solid and should get me back in the room to meet with the Executive Producers. I’ll find out sometime this week if I get the second interview, then I’ll go in and nail it.

Fingers crossed, I’ll get a gig and not realize I learned how to put a condom on just to get fucked in the ass.

P.S. did you know hodgepodge was one word? Neither did I.

No comments: