Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My New Friend

I know what you’re thinking. “Good for John. He’s getting out and meeting people.”

I’ll be up front and say that I really don’t have a new friend… I have an acquaintance. Fine, it was a guy who passed me in the street, but we bonded in only the way brothers can.

I was out walking, as I am prone to do when I realize I have no life. I usually wait until the evening when it’s cooled off and the percentage of back sweat can be minimized. I popped into Best Buy to look at DVD’s I can’t afford, which really sucks because it’s Best Buy for christ sake! I should be able to afford that place. Alas I left empty handed.

So I’m walking down Santa Monica in hopes of rolling a bum for some cash when a guy on a bicycle passes, looks right at me and shouts, “This seat makes may balls hurt!”

(Note: For those who have never ridden a bicycle or those who lack male testicles, there has yet to be a seat made that doesn’t cause duress on the sack.)

I glanced down as he passed and it was one of those old school wide leather seats with those cone shaped springs underneath it for shocks. Well at first I really didn’t know how to respond. This is not your usual "lets bond" comment. Usually there is an introduction followed by small talk before you reach the, “Let me tell you something really personal about myself” stage. Not this guy. He was into sharing his problems and seeking advice.

As he sped away, it struck me. I could help this guy out. “Stand up!” I shouted out just before he turned the corner ahead of us. So he stood up in the pedals. Seconds after disappearing around the corner, I heard his yelp of gratitude. “YEEEAAHHHHH! Thanks, man!”

When I reached the corner, I looked down the street to see the guy standing up, pedaling away, pleased as punch.

For a brief moment, we had connected. He asked for help and help was delivered. If that’s not true friendship, I don’t know what is.

I should have asked if he knew where I could find a decent job. Damn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is always nice to hear when the interwoven nature of the universe comes together to relieve nut pain. What a wonder this life is!

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»