Thursday, March 13, 2008

Call Me K

In Franz Kafka’s “The Trial” a character named only K is arrested and put on trial…hence the title. The thing is he is never told what he did. He has no idea what he did. He goes through the story trying to figure out, but never discovers an answer. It sounds like an extremely frustrating situation and I can now say that it is.

I was fired, laid off, let go, from my job on Monday. The only excuse I was given was, “Business reasons.” I was in shock. So was everyone else. My superiors were not told why I was terminated. I have no idea why they got rid of me. No one has any idea except for a few higher ups. It is just odd, confusing, frustrating.



I kept asking what I did and all they’d tell me was the same thing over and over. Business reasons. Business reasons. Business reasons. I didn’t understand then, I still don’t. They said I was a great employee, I was an excellent editor, it was just…business reasons.

There were other positions that I could have moved to. They knew I wanted to produce and there were spots opening up. But they kicked me out anyway.

I can run it over and over in my head. I can let it continue to bother me. I can simply accept it was business reasons.

I know there are all sorts of things in life that never have closure. Maybe I simply need to accept things as they are and move on. I’ll just keep moving forward and see where it leads me.

No comments: