Sunday, January 13, 2008

Anti-Gripe

I’ve been whining a lot recently about all of the bad crap that has been going on. So for a few minutes, I’d like to pass on some things that I am grateful for.

#1. The Job: It may not be the most satisfying gig on the planet, but it is much closer to what I am trying to do with my life. Last year at this time I was unemployed because the show I was working on was cancelled. The year before that I was unemployed and back in school to start a new career and attempt to get back into the industry. Three years ago I was in a miserable job and it had nothing to do with any goal I wanted to achieve. So now I’m actually editing (sort of) and working in Hollywood in television. It may not be making movies, but it is a hell of a lot closer than filing paperwork in a cubicle for the mental health industry.

#2. My Friends: I may not have many, but the ones I have are very supportive and are always willing to listen to my hair-brained schemes and ideas for making shows. I don’t believe that I would still be clean and sober without their help and I think they are a great group of people. Everyone should have a core group like this.

#3. AA: I may not be the most active participant in Alcoholics Anonymous, but it is always there when I need to be around people who have gone through a lot of the same shit that I have been through. It makes a person who feels a little disjointed in the world not so alone.

#4. FGP: Film Geek Primer may have slowed down (hasn’t stopped folks, it’s still moving) but it allows a creative way for me to vent about where I believe the state of film is and help educate people about why movies are such an important part of the world, not just my life. Expect more soon and we’re trying to arrange a schedule so we can pump more of them out more frequently.

#5. Women: They have caused me more paranoia, emotional duress, lack of trust, incredible moments, laughter, sex, company…All of those things that force me to look at myself and have helped me play catch-up with those very immature emotions that I’m working through. Thanks ladies.

#6. Izzy: Yeah I may be the only one that calls him that, but my non-nephew/nephew has made me feel like a family may not just be something that I want, but would really enjoy having. He makes me feel like being a parent is actually a good thing in this world.



#7. Music: I mean come o people if you can’t understand why music (any kind) is so incredible you have no souls and need to just give up the ghost right now.

#8. Movies: It may be last on this list, but is certainly not the least. It is my window to society, my art, myself. Discovering a new movie is akin to discovering a new galaxy. It opens up so much possibility. Akira Kurosawa once said, “If you subtract movies from me, the remainder would be zero.” I’m in good company.

No comments: