Thursday, May 25, 2006

Hot Off The Press #2







By Scoop Snoopum

In this town where the mighty fall, the mighty have truly fallen.

Not too long ago a television show of epic proportions graced our living rooms.

Beat The Geeks not only stole America's Neilson ratings, but also our hearts. This game show was bigger than big! It was a homunculus, invading pop culture like no other show had before or since. It kicked M.A.S.H in its Korean balls. It raped Friends and made it beg for more. Seinfeld converted to Buddhism. Hell, even Fraiser needed therapy after a visit from the Geeks. See what I’m saying… BIG!
But just like that (poof), it was gone.

Who killed it, what happened, when and why?

There is one question that can be answered my loyal readers and that is the where. Where are the geeks today?

At least one of them still exists. Mark Hueck, also known in the professional world as, “The Movie Geek” walks among us mortal men.
It was my crafty tipster Yellow 7 who guided me to the Nuart Theater in West Los Angeles. There standing at the usher’s podium quietly tearing tickets was Mr. Hueck himself.

Graying hair, baggy eyed and sad, his fingers shook as he attempted to tear the perforated ticket I had handed him. I was ready to ask the ultimate question, “Who killed Beat The Geeks? Why has the man worked so hard to keep you down?”

As my mouth opened to begin my tirade of hard hitting questions, he raised his head gently and mumbled, “Enjoy the show.” I couldn’t do it dear readers. His pain was too great. My drudging up his past would simply be salting the wound. I moved on and enjoyed the film.

I learned a powerful lesson this night. There are a limitless amount of stars up in the sky. Quite often, they fall and fall hard. The reason behind the fall isn’t what’s important, but that they land safely.

Sleep well tonight Mr. Hueck; your geek soul is much too beautiful for a world as ugly as ours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scoop, I got a tip for you. There is a cafe in the Arclight and if the stars are aligned just right, you may have the good fortune to be waited on by none other then Hooper X! imdb that bad boy!

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»