Thursday, May 18, 2006

I Took One Up The DVD


I keep screwing myself. It’s out of fear and not enough knowledge of what things should cost, as well as a lack of esteem for my skills.

See, I’m doing this wedding video for a friend of a friend and I quoted an incredibly low price. I did this for two reasons.

1.) I’ve never done a project like this before and was not given very specific orders on what they wanted. So they are going to get whatever I gave them.

2.) He kept asking how much it would cost, so I finally just blurted out something that was low. This is because I had never done this before and didn’t know what they wanted. So they were going to get whatever I gave them.

Well the footage, which I didn’t shoot, wasn’t exactly great. It was barely good. No audible sound, bad lighting, no tripod so the whole thing looks like it takes place during an earthquake. But I became fixated with making something at least watchable out of it. And I think I did. I’m not trying to toot my own horn, but I was able to work with the material and create something that had tempo and flowed and told a story of the days events and the people in them. Plus it’s all mushy and lovey-dovey.

Once of my teachers once told me it’s not the equipment, but the person using the equipment that is the greatest tool. So I guess that makes me a worthwhile tool.

Anyway, I get the project done. I’m really trying to do a nice job, so I get cases and print out fancy labels for the disks and get the whole package looking really good.

So, I’m excited about being done and I call him up about delivery. I ask how many copies he wants and he asks how much it will cost per copy. I pause and blurt out three dollars. Now I know I’m an idiot. I buy a lot of DVD’s and even though this thing runs maybe an hour tops, it’s worth more than three bucks a copy.

Now it’s not a big deal, because I figure they’ll only want a couple of copies. So he says he’ll call me back. Well he hasn’t called and I had a nightmare last night of the couple making a list, checking it twice, and adding more people to it.

Anything over ten copies and I’ll lose money on this deal guaranteed.

But I have something decent for my reel, I’ve gotten to practice my editing skills, and I now have knowledge that I must do the research on rates before taking something like this on again. So there are quite a few positive things that came out of this.

If you know anyone who needs some editing done, you’ll find me living under a bridge. But I’ll have a head full of wisdom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, your freakin me you here! 3.00 is too low. you know that. but I know you know a bit better two, so I´m beginning to wonder, does Santo LIKE pain?
Look man, its not that complicated. explane to the guy what you have to us, and tell him he can have up to 10, or even five at that 3.00. apologize. but by no means loose money on the deal. You gained exp. but if you loose money on the deal you pay, not only your time (which, as you say is worth far more than you know. I dont claim to know but a guess would be 45.00-145.00 per hr, yes?), but also your cash. thats thousands of dollars (your time) and a few extra dollars (the disks and time to make them) that YOU PAID! ok, so if you eat it now, your just doing it to maky yourself feel like a failure and have an excuse to not pick a bird and make it happen.

see yourself...

do I sound like a arrogant asshole?

love,
e
ps- stay away from my girl! LOL

i