Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Move Along

So I went and did the whole temp company thing yesterday.

It was a lot different than when I did it the first time up in Oakland. Then, they sat me down and we had a real interview. They asked about my background and things I should remember when dealing with employers, the whole job searching shebang.

Yesterday was like an assembly line process. Fill out paperwork, check. Sit down with a representative and hand over you resume, check. Take some skill tests, check. Call us tomorrow and we’ll see if anything is available. It was so impersonal that I felt like they didn’t even want me there.

I had dressed nice, too nice. All the other applicants were in jeans and t-shirts. I had a tie, dress shirt, pressed pants, the complete package and felt like I was being pushed aside because of it. Like I wasn’t serious because I wasn’t looking desperate enough.

I know I’ve been scared in the past over this whole thing, and I knew I felt like giving up. But after yesterday, I really wonder if I am going to make it. Not even make it, just survive. I’m starting to realize my skill set isn’t really made to survive in the real world. I’m not trying to sound negative, I’m just trying to really look at what I have and how I can use it to bring in money to live. Working towards being a better person doesn’t really look good on a resume.

Never give up, never surrender.

I wish I could get a job and move on to other things, because I’m getting really fucking tired about talking about this stuff and I’m sure your sick of reading it.

No comments: