Saturday, June 24, 2006

Did You Hear A Ring? I Thought I Heard A Ring.

So I’ve got a shot at a job and all I’m doing now is waiting to talk to the guy. It seems pretty solid, as I’ve mentioned earlier, but no call yet. I know you’re saying, “Give it up. If they haven’t called yet, they aren’t going to call.” Not entirely true.

The whole process for this job has been a hurry up and wait type of scenario. Initial contact took about two weeks and the original lunch was rescheduled twice. The guy who has been looking into hiring me is a very busy guy. He’s overworked and probably underpaid for his duties. Not only that, but he’s a really cool guy. Honest, helpful and a movie lover, which is always a good thing to me. He’s more than just the casual movie watcher. He and I had a long discussion on Orson Welles and discussed several other classic films. I didn’t get a sense of his liking of foreign films, but hopefully that will be a conversation for another lunch.


The way it has been happening is I call and get his message service. Usually I get a call back the next day and just a quick update that things a trucking along, but it’s hectic and we’ll talk more about it in a couple of days. So call him to remind him.

Things there are crazy. They have all sorts of new equipment coming in and are still seeking budget approval on certain items. There is also a lot of restructuring so they can bring in more employees to alleviate some of the workload. I fall under the more employees’ category.

We chatted very briefly on Tuesday morning when he was off to a budget meeting and said he’d be back in touch. So far nothing. I’m a little worried, but not panicking. I’m more or less really impatient. I want to get to work. It has been over a year since I’ve held a real job. I don’t count working at the movie theater because a narcoleptic penguin with a wooden flipper could pull that job off. (I’m into penguin references since I saw a bit on t.v. last week.)

The best part is I’m afraid of leaving the house. He’ll call my cell phone, but I don’t want to be walking down Sunset when the call comes in. Heavy traffic and trying to hold a conversation don’t mix. I also enjoy going out to the movies, which is tough because I have to shut the phone off during the film and I’m afraid of missing the call. I’ve been risking it to go to the gym and every time I’m done, there is a message waiting. I get all twitchy and check it. It’s always from a friend or family member calling to check in.

“Noooooo.” I scream to the heavens in my best James Earl Jones impression.

Now it’s the weekend and I have to wait until Monday when this thumb twiddling purgatory can begin all over again. At least I can go out of the house with ease.

And like the dumb shit boring ass cliché goes… No news is good news.

Or translated for The Great Space Coaster fans, “There’s no news like Gary Gnus.”

No comments: