Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Open Mic Night

So I performed at Open Mic Night at the world famous Laugh Factory...

AND I KICKED ASS!!!!


Just kidding. I bombed something awful.

I wasn’t the worst, so I had that going for me. My biggest problem was that the guy before me kicked ass. I mean he was funny and polished and really had it together. I put my piece together this morning and was trying to refine it while walking there. Not the best idea.

It wasn’t embarrassing or humiliating. It was actually kind of fun. I stood on the same stage that Bill Hicks stood on. That’s pretty damn cool. I’d do it again if I took the time to put something good together. I’m too lazy and have bigger things to worry about before I attempt that.

So I’m not banking on Stand-Up stardom. It’s kind of too bad. Had I started back when I was 18 I might have been good. I didn’t feel any fear when I was up there and I did get a couple of chuckle. They were purposeful too. Laughed with me, not laughed at me.

There was one guy who was so-so and he sat behind me the entire time and mumbled how bad everyone was under his breath. I didn’t realize until I got up there that you could actually hear him. So I got to hear his grumble the entire time I was up there. Not exactly supportive, but hey, it’s a cutthroat business. He probably was doing it on purpose to trip people up. It worked.

My favorite part was I got near the end and realized I didn’t have a solid conclusion. I should have considered that. So I just ended with, “I got nothing, thank you ladies and gentlemen.” I received the very supportive clap for the retarded kid.

Yeah, fine. I’ll do it again. Now I know what I need to do, so I can screw it up in a completely different way.

Good night Ladies and gentlemen. Don’t forget to tip your waitresses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When is the audio going up on the blog?!?