Thursday, August 31, 2006

Sympathy Pains

If you dream of having kids, how do you visualize it?

The very pregnant wife walking through the kitchen, when her water breaks. The dutiful husband acting goofy as he gets the suitcases and helps her out to the wood paneled station wagon. Contractions in the car, the doctor at the hospital looking over a chart and saying, "All right, we’re ready, lets push."

That’d be great wouldn’t it?

Well, for my friend Aaron and his wife Barabra, it’s just not going that way. I’m sure that Barabra (Babs) wanted it to be something like the above stated dream, but reality decided to intrude.

First: She was huge and the baby was ready so the doctors decided to induce labor. An appointment was made for 10 o’clock last night for them to go in. They were probably thinking, “Hey we could have a kid by three or four in the morning.” I know I was.

Second: They were not informed that when she was given the injection to induce labor that the process for labor to begin would be in about 12 to 24 hours. Then you have to go through labor and birth. Plus she couldn’t walk around during any of this time, aka bed ridden. Shit! That’s a long time. Bab’s was visibly upset and who wouldn’t be.

Third: She hadn’t eaten since 10 in the morning and they weren’t going to let her eat until the kid was born. In case they had to deliver the baby by cesarean (is that spelled right?).



So I popped in last night around 10:30 to be given the news about this now lengthy process. I hung out until 1 am with Aaron and watched Bab’s sister Stephanie sing old camp songs and goofy routines to cheer her up. Real families are cute aren’t they?

I went home and couldn’t sleep. I nodded off around 5 and woke up at 7. I decided to work out, shower and pick up some reading materials for Babs and headed to the hospital. About half way there I got a call from Aaron asking o not stop by. Neither of them had slept and the going into labor thing just wasn’t happening and Babs was just not handling anything well at that moment. No problem, I hung a louie and went home.

So about ten minutes ago I called Aaron for the latest update. Literally nothing has happened. Nothing. They are waiting for contractions to get painful and it’s not happening. They are waiting for her female parts to dilate and it’s not happening. The prediction is now going around that the kid won’t come until tomorrow sometime and they can’t say when tomorrow, just tomorrow.

God that has got to suck! They won’t let her walk, they won’t let her eat, the best they can do is maybe, and I say maybe, find her a more comfortable room. I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for the frustration they must be feeling.

Is this a sign of what the kid will be like? I have no idea, but if you had the chance to look around and see what the world is like today before being born, you may not want to come out either.

No comments: